Homemade Pastrami from Brisket – The Cure
In this recipe, I will walk you through the easy steps of curing your own brisket to turn it into something absolutely juicy, tender and mouth watering!
- 1 Packer brisket (A flat or trimmed version is fine)
- 2 TBS Pickling spice (store-bought)
- 1 gallon Water cold
- 1 tablespoon Curing salt #1 (heaping)
- 3/4 cup Coarse kosher salt (Morton's)
- 1/2 cup Brown sugar (dark recommended)
Toast the Pickling Spices
Heat an iron skillet over high heat and place pickling spices in the pan to toast. Keep the spices moving for about a minute or until you smell their aroma.
Transfer toasted pickling spices to the curing brine and stir.
Begin the Cure
Place the meat into a large food-safe plastic, glass or non-reactive container. Pour brine over the meat to cover.
If necessary, weigh the meat down with a plate and/or a zip top bag filled with water to keep the meat submerged.
Cover the container and place in the fridge.