Spicy Pickled Slaw
I am forever looking for a new slaw recipe to try on pulled pork sandwiches and this one pretty much “takes the cake”. It has a kick that you won’t soon forget if you make it according to the recipe.
- 1 c water
- 1 c sugar
- 2 jalapeños (, seeded and cut into thin matchsticks)
- 1 lb carrots (, cleaned and sliced into thin matchsticks)
- 1 head of red cabbage (, cleaned, cored, and sliced into thin strips)
- 1 medium red onion (, peeled, halved, and very thinly sliced)
- 1 bunch radishes (, cleaned and thinly sliced lengthwise)
- 1 t coarse pepper
- 1 t mustard seeds
- 1 t fennel seeds
- ½ t salt
- 1/4 t cayenne
- 1/8 t smoked habanero powder ((optional))
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 3/4 c white wine vinegar
Prep all vegetables and place in a large heat-proof bowl.
In a medium saucepan, combine water, vinegar, sugar and spices.
Bring to a full boil over high heat.
Remove from heat and pour over vegetables.
Toss to coat thoroughly.
Transfer vegetables and all pickling liquid to a lidded bowl.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. (Preferably 24 hours)