Many people have emailed me over the last several months asking me which pellet smoker is best. I have (2) favorites to be exact but which one is best for you sort of depends on what you are looking for in terms of features.
Wanna know my two favorites? Here they are:
The Camp Chef Woodwind SG has the most useful utility features in my opinion whereas the REC TEC Bull has the best warranty and is the only one, at this time, that can hold an absolute precise temperature.
These two pellet smokers are built with great quality, provide excellent smoke, and if you take care of it will give you a great number of years of service.
Having used both of these smokers for more than a year and many cooks under my belt, I can easily provide you with a list of the pro’s and cons that hopefully can help you make a decision on which one is best for you and your family.
- 22 lb hopper means it holds a full 20 pound bag with room to spare.
- Window on hopper so you can see pellet level at all times
- Chute on bottom of hopper for dumping pellets quickly and easily for changeouts
- Ash cup on bottom of smoke chamber for cleaning out ashes without removing grates, heat deflector, etc. (nice feature)
- Only $899 right now ($100 off)
- Includes propane fueled searbox or sidekick (a large flat griddle) that mounts to the side of the smoker. Your choice.
- 3-year warranty
- 2 meat probes
- Slide and grill technology allows you to slide the heat deflector out of the way during cooking to allow some of the flames to come up to grate level giving you a little more direct heat. It’s not perfect but I have used it some and it’s a pretty decent feature for things like burgers, hotdogs, or when you want to put a little direct heat on something. The side searbox works better if you really want to put a good sear on a steak after smoking it.
- Includes bottom grate and top grate for a lot more cooking area.
- Does not hold a precise temperature. Like your home oven, it fluctuates up and down from your set temperature about 15 to 20 degrees.
- Does not have wi-fi capability or any way to control or monitor via your smartphone.
Cost: $899 with free shipping
Needless to say, I absolutely love this pellet smoker. In my opinion it is the most feature rich of the pellet smokers on the market.
You can check this one out more and/or purchase one at https://smoking-meat.com/woodwind
- Super heavy duty
- Lots of stainless steel on this thing including the entire smoke chamber and hopper.
- 40 lb hopper. You can fit 2 bags of pellets in this thing and you’re cooking for almost 2 days without needing to refill.
- 6-year warranty
- Ceramic hot rod
- Wi-fi enabled controller allows you to connect this to your home wifi and it can then be controlled and monitored right on your smart phone from literally anywhere in the world (a really nice feature)
- 2 meat probes
- PID controller holds your set temperature at exactly what you set. If you set 225 degrees then it will hold that precise temperature for hours on end.
- It looks darn cool sitting on your patio!
- No easy way to dump or changeout pellet flavors.
- To cleanout the ashes, you have to remove the grates, drip pan, and heat deflector.
- Only includes a bottom grate although there is plenty of room inside for an upper grate. You can purchase an accessory that gives you more room inside but this should be built-in in my opinion.
Cost: $1199 with free shipping
I really like using this smoker and the technology in this controller is second to none. I love being able to control it from afar and I love knowing that it is holding an absolute precise temperature. I do miss some of the features that I have on the Camp Chef Woodwind SG though when I am using it.
You can check this one out more and/or purchase one at https://www.rectecgrills.com/rt-700-pellet-grill/
Let me know in the comments below if you agree, disagree or if you have further pro’s and cons to add to either of these pellet smoker models.
Note: You can also order the formulas for my rubs and sauce and make these yourself at home. Grab those HERE and download immediately.