Smoking-Meat.com is supported by its readers. We may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you if you buy through a link on this page.
Read this article without ads
This cherry Black Forest Dump cake is a delicious, easy to throw together cake that uses just a few ingredients and can be cooked in under an hour in the smoker or oven. It's every bit as scrumptious as it looks and I recommend you try this at home very soon. I cooked mine in the Recteq Bull pellet smoker.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Smoker Temp: 375°F
- Meat Finish Temp: N/A
- Recommended Wood: Pecan, Oak, Apple, Cherry, etc.
- 32 ounces of cherry pie filling
- Chocolate cake mix (~15.25 ounces)
- 1 stick (.25 lb) butter
- Vanilla ice cream (optional)
Pour cherry pie filling into a 9×13 container or a half-size foil pan. I just tried to make sure the cherries where in a single layer that covered the entire bottom of the pan.
My cans were 21 ounces each and I used 1.5 cans (~32 ounces). Feel free to use both cans if you want more cherries in there.
Pour in the chocolate cake mix to cover the cherries.
Tamp it down firmly using a potato masher or something similar.
Slice butter into a lot of pieces.. don't bother counting because it doesn't really matter!
Now lay the pieces all over the top of the cake mix.
Preheat the smoker (or oven) to 375 °F and once it's ready place the pan of cherry Black Forest dump cake on the grate.
Let it cook for approximately 45-60 minutes or until it starts to get a little dry on top.
The time will vary based on the type of pan that you use, how often you open the door, how well your cooker maintains temperature, etc. so keep an eye on it. I started checking mine at 30 minutes and sort of went from there.
When the cherry Black Forest dump cake is finished, remove it from the smoker or oven and serve it up.
This is amazing with vanilla ice cream or real whipped cream on top!
Cherry Black Forest Dump Cake
- 32 ounces Cherry pie filling
- 1 box Chocolate cake mix (15.25 ounces)
- 1 stick butter (.25 lb)
- Pour Pour 32 ounces of cherry pie filling into 9 x 13 dish or half-size foil pan.
- Pour Pour cake mix evenly over the top of the cherry pie filling to cover. Press down firmly all over using a potato masher or similar.
- Slice Slice butter into a lot of pieces.. 14 to 16 pieces is common.
- Arrange Arrange slices of butter over the top of the pressed cake mix.
- Cook Preheat smoker or oven to 375℉, When it is ready place the pan of cherry black forest dump cake on the grates and cook for 45-60 minutes or until the top starts to look dry.
- Serve Remove from the heat when finished and serve immediately. Great with vanilla ice cream or homemade whipped cream.