With Thanksgiving quickly approaching here in the United States, I wanted to share some of our family's favorite holiday side dishes. These have been used over the years with lots of success and I just have a feeling that you will enjoy them every bit as much as we do!
No more stuffing out of the box.. make your own using my favorite family recipe
(makes 12-16 generous servings)
- 2 stick butter
- 4 onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 c. coarsely chopped celery
- 2 tsp. dried sage
- 2 tsp. salt (+ more to taste)
- 4 tsp. coarsely ground pepper (+ more to taste)
- 6 1/2 c. chicken broth or turkey drippings (you can use more or less, depending on how moist you like your dressing)
- 2 loaves stale white bread, cut into cubes (9-10 c.)
- 2 bunches fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
In a large pan, melt butter over medium heat. Saute onions and celery for about 10 minutes, until softened and transparent. Add spices and stir to coat onions & celery; cook for 3 minutes. Add 1/2 c. chicken broth or drippings and cook for about 5 minutes, until broth has reduced, stirring often.
Remove onion mixture from heat. In a large dutch oven or very large mixing bowl, combine onion mixture with bread cubes, parsley, eggs and chicken broth. Mix well.
Tip: If you don't have bread that is really dry and stale, you can substitute toasted cubes of bread. Simply cube it in ½ x ½ inch pieces and place it in a 200 degree oven on a sheet pan for 25-30 minutes or until it is nice and dry.
You can then stuff your turkey loosely with the stuffing, and cook the remainder in a buttered baking dish for 30-45 minutes at 375. However, we recommend that you cook your stuffing separately, and if you are smoking a turkey, you'll want to do this anyway.
- Cornbread Stuffing – use 4 1/2 c. each crumbled cooked cornbread and cubed white bread.
- Fruity Stuffing – Add 1 c. each walnuts & dried cranberries or 1 c. each raisins and pecans.
- Other tips – For “wetter” stuffing, use 1/2 c. more broth and 1 more egg; for dry stuffing, use less broth and brush top with butter 5 minutes before removing from oven.
- Add 2 c. finely chopped green apples.