Super Bowl parties are the perfect time to bring out the appetizers and these smoked chicken cherry bombs and other smoked super bowl snacks will be the perfect way to celebrate as you cheer your team to victory with your family and friends.
I have also included some links to favorite recipes for smoked wings, pulled pork hot dogs, smoked chicken cherry bombs and of course no appetizer or snack list is complete without those cream cheese filled, bacon-wrapped jalapeños.
Here’s to hoping your team wins and if nothing else, you’ll win the contest for having the best smoked super bowl snacks!
Get the Recipes – Banish the Ads
Most, if not all, of these smoked super bowl snacks use my rub and/or sauce to make them the very best they can be. Don’t settle for ordinary store-bought rub and sauce when you can have my recipes for the very best!
Guaranteed you’ll love them or your money back!
Reasons to buy: Support the newsletter and the website | Own the recipes | Get the newsletter 100% AD FREE from now on
Smoked Chicken Cherry Bombs
Little balls of chicken, cherries, habanero pieces and flavored inside and out with my rub and sauce for that perfect super bowl or anytime snack that will drive you and your friends wild.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 38 -48 pieces
- Cook Time: 45 min to 1 hour
- Smoker Temp: 225°F
- Meat Finish Temp: 165°F
- Recommended Wood: Cherry
- 2 lb ground chicken*
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 15-18 fresh cherries, pitted (seeds removed)
- 2 habanero peppers, cleaned (seeds and veins removed)**
- 2 TBS crumbled blue cheese (optional)
- Jeff’s rub (purchase recipe here)
- Franks Original RedHot Sauce
- Jeff’s sauce (purchase recipe here)
*purchase pre-ground chicken or grind it yourself in the food processor or meat grinder using half breast tenders and half boneless, skinless thighs with visible fat removed.
**Use less habanero if you don’t like your food very hot. See my notes below entitled, “How much habanero to use”.
Use a hand pitter to remove the seeds from the cherries. You can remove the seeds by any means possible if you don’t have a pitter. Use the food processor and just pulse it a time or two to chop the cherries up or you can use a hand chopper. A sharp knife also works.
Remove the seeds and veins from a couple of habaneros.
***BE SURE to use GLOVES!***
Add the peppers to the food processor and pulse them just enough to chop them up real fine. A hand chopper or sharp knife works equally well.
Add the bread crumbs, eggs, rub (purchase recipe here), blue cheese (optional), chopped cherries and chopped habanero to the ground chicken. Fold all ingredients together but don’t over mix the chicken.
How much habanero to use: I used 1 habanero per lb of chicken and while I really liked it, others told me it was pretty hot.
I tried ½ habanero per lb and could barely taste it. If you really like it hot then use 1 or more habaneros per lb of chicken but if you only want it to be slightly hot, then use ½ habanero per lb of chicken.
I recommend making a batch with ½ habanero per lb and another batch with 1 habanero per lb that way you have something for everyone.
Stick a toothpick into each ball and they are ready for the smoker.
I recommend using a Bradley rack if possible for maximum smoke penetration and ease of transport back and forth from the kitchen to the smoker.
Prepare the smoker for cooking/smoking at about 225°F using dry cherry chips, chunks, splits, pellets or bisquettes if possible. Once the smoker is maintaining it’s temperature, the smoked chicken cherry bombs are ready to go on the grate.
- Bradley 4-Rack Digital Smoker – An electric smoker that is fully automated and keeps the temperature where you set it. It also keeps the smoke flowing via an automated mechanism that moves a new wood puck into the smoker every 20 minutes. See this smoker and read reviews on Amazon.com
- Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 Smoker – the king of charcoal water smokers. Add charcoal, water and wood and you’re good to go for several hours. 3 dampers on the fire bowl allow you to dial in the air perfectly for maintaining perfect smoking temperatures. See this smoker and read reviews on Amazon.com
- Big Green Egg – Ceramic cooker that uses charcoal. Add lump charcoal, light it and add some wood.. set the top and bottom vent and you’re good to go for hours on end due to the thick walls that hold heat incredibly well.
- Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain Propane Smoker – A propane smoker that works exceptionally well. I have had mine for more than 8 years and it still works great. See this smoker and read reviews on Amazon.com
- More smokers on the way..
Note: In colder weather, it is advisable to preheat the smoker at least an hour or more before you are wanting to use it. Keep the door closed as much as possible and even skip basting if necessary to maintain proper smoking temperatures.
Place the smoked chicken cherry bombs directly on the grate and let them smoke the entire time using dry cherry wood. They should take around 45 – 60 minutes to reach 165°F in the center of the meat balls.
Squirt some of the sauce on each one or you can let folks do it themselves. Grab a few for yourself and watch the others disappear very quickly!
Alternate Method for Smoked Chicken Cherry Bomb: Wrap a third or half piece of bacon around the smoked chicken cherry bombs before you smoke them.
For extra crispiness, cook the bacon about half way before wrapping around the cherry bombs.
Secure with the toothpick and smoke cook for 1 hour or until they reach 165°F in the center.
- Chop 18 fresh cherries very fine and set aside
- Chop two cleaned/deseeded habaneros very fine and set aside (only use one habanero if you don't want them to be very hot)
- Fold in bread crumbs, rub, blue cheese (optional), eggs, cherries and habanero to ground chicken
- Form 1-inch cherry bombs from the chicken mixture
- Pour some rub in a plate and roll the 1-inch balls in the rub to coat lightly
- Insert a toothpick into the center of the cherry bombs
- Smoke the chicken cherry bombs at 225°F for about 1 hour or until they reach 165°F in the center
- Mix up some special sauce for the cherry bombs using one part Jeff's sauce and one part Franks Original RedHot sauce
- Drizzle the sauce on the smoked chicken cherry bombs or serve on the side for dipping
~Links to More awesome super bowl snacks and appetizers after this ad~
Order Jeff’s Rub Recipe and Sauce Recipe
If I could give these recipes away, I would do that. I really want you to have them! But, then, this is how I support the newsletter, the website and all of the other stuff that we do here to promote the art of smoking meat. Read these testimonies:
..after buying and using it, all I can say is BRAVO! I’ve used a number of “home-spun” rub recipes. It seems that they were always a little too sweet, a little too hot, or had a little too much of something in it. Jeff’s Rub is just right – and well worth the price to have it just right. I’m glad I bought the recipe! ~John
Jeff, I bought your rub and sauce recipes a few months ago and you were ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! These are the best. Even my very picky wife and mother in law say they love them. I use them on everything I smoke, ribs,chicken.fish,roasts. Every newsletter you have I’m smoking it a couple days later! I used my smoker 15 times in the snow and it gets you thru winter a lot sooner! THANKS! ~Brian in Wisconsin
You see the raving testimonies and you wonder, “Can the recipes really be that good?” No worries! Make up a batch and if it’s not as good as you’ve heard.. simply ask for a refund. Now that’s a bargain and you know it. Let’s review:
- Completely guaranteed.. No worries
- The recipes are absolutely amazing
- Once you order, every newsletter will be Ad FREE
Well.. what are you waiting for.. click that link below that says “Order the Recipes Here”
Note: This ad should not show up in future newsletters once your purchase the recipes. Let us know if you are having any problems with this.
I really, really appreciate the support from my newsletter friends and be sure to let me know if you have any questions about this.
More Smoked Super Bowl Snacks & Appetizers
Bacon wrapped shrimp
Pulled Pork Scoops
Pulled Pork Hotdogs
Smoked Chicken Wings
Bacon Wrapped Jalapenos
Bacon wrapped fatty
Smoked-fried hot wings
Order My Smoking Meat Book
With 128 reviews on Amazon.com and a rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars, it comes highly recommended.
It is also listed as a #1 Bestseller in Barbecueing & Grilling on Amazon.
Note: For my German readers, the book is now available under the title “American Smoker” and translated into German at Amazon.de
Need Something? Shop at Amazon
That’s right- we get a small commission every time you buy something at Amazon whether it’s a piece of jewelry for your wife’s birthday, a book or even a grill, smoker or cooking accessory. Use THIS LINK to get there and you’ll get what you need, we’ll get a small commission and you get to support smoking-meat.com.. everyone is happy!
Thank you in advance for using our special link: http://www.smoking-meat.com/amazon